We are a non-profit screening clinic, providing endoscopy
and colonoscopy screening procedures.
We are dedicated to improving access for patients requiring screening services.
We are a non-profit 10-bed residential hospice,
providing 24-hour comfort and care to adults
with life-limiting illness, and their families.
We are a non-profit ambulatory vision care centre,
providing surgical procedures, clinical vision care,
education and research. We are affiliated
with University of Toronto’s Department of Ophthalmology and Vision Sciences.
We are a non-profit Eye Bank. We collect,
process and distribute donated human eyes
and tissue for sight-saving transplants.
We are a non-profit community care program,
providing on-sight and in-home services
for older adults and adults living with disabilities.
Our goal is to enhance social, intellectual and physical well-being.
We are a non-profit long-term care home with 350 residents.
We are a place where residents feel comfortable,
independent and part of our community.
We are a non-profit diagnostic imaging clinic providing
X-ray, Ultrasound, Mammography and Bone Mineral Density
testing services. We are dedicated to delivering the highest quality
imaging services to our patients in a warm, welcoming atmosphere.
The Kensington Hospice in Toronto is located on the site of the historic Chapel of St. John the Divine, built in 1888. Over the years the chapel has been repurposed several times as the adjacent hospital evolved. In 2011, after years of disuse, Kensington Health and the local community gave the magnificent chapel a new purpose.
The Kensington Hospice was created, taking full advantage of stunning architectural elements, such as the building’s hammerbeam construction and Gothic stained glass. Today, the hospice is a bright, airy palliative care home with a dramatic Great Room and modern touches that provide comfort to residents, their families and caregivers.
1888 – Chapel of St. John the Divine is built adjacent to the St. John’s Surgical Hospital for Women. The hospital provided care to Toronto’s impoverished and destitute women from 1889 to 1937, and then offered geriatric care until the 1950s.
1953 – The hospital was purchased and the name changed to Doctors’ Hospital. The chapel served as office space and a lecture hall.
2002 – Kensington Gardens, a 350-bed, long-term care home opened on the former site of the hospital. The chapel remained unused, but was saved from demolition because of its architectural importance.
2011 – Kensington Health and the Harbord Residents’ Association decided to convert the chapel into a 10-bed hospice. Architect, Renzo Pillon, transformed the building into what we see today as The Kensington Hospice.